Are you interested in trying out a Garageband Windows free download? Although Apple does not make a version of their Garageband music recording software specifically for Windows, the closest Garageband alternative for PC users is Mixcraft, and it’s available to download for free.
Mixcraft is multi-track recording studio software made by Acoustica. It has a huge range of capabilities (described in detail here), but the key features include:
- recording audio;
- arranging loops;
- remixing tracks;
- composing with MIDI and virtual instruments;
- adding effects;
- scoring and editing video; and
- mixing and mastering your tracks to create polished, professional compositions.
Mixcraft has an interface and workflow that is very similar to Garageband, and in terms of both aesthetics and usability is the most similar Windows alternative to Garageband.
Acoustica offer a free trial of Mixcraft 6 to allow users to test-drive before they buy. The trial version is complete and unabridged. The only difference between it and the paid version of Mixcraft is that a registration code is required to turn the trial version into a fully paid version. If you choose to purchase the software at a later date, a registration code will be emailed to you.
How to download Mixcraft 6 for free:
- Visit the Acoustica site; and
- Click on the ‘Download’ button (located on the right of the ‘Buy Now’ button, as show in the screenshot below).
To download and run the Mixcraft software, the minimum system requirements are:
- 1 GHz CPU;
- 2 GB Ram;
- Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8; and
- Sound card, USB, or Firewire sound device.